Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Three keys to happiness

My son has taught me many lessons, so many that sometimes I wonder if he came to this world to help me get things sorted out. The truth is that I am a better person since he arrived. In March 2009, when he was 5 years old we were driving to meet some family members and I commented that I had been grumpy lately. He immediately said that the reason for this was my forgetting how to be a kid.

Intrigued by his words, I asked what it was that I had forgotten: he said that all kids know how to be happy.

Okay, and how can you be happy? His reply was quick and without hesitation; there are three things that you need to be happy:

1- Believe what is true
2- Relax (big time, I thought)
3- Help yourself and help others

I stopped the car and started taking notes. I am getting good at recognizing learning opportunities, you see? I am applying the three keys to happiness in my life and I have to admit that I feel happier. The hardest one to do seems to be number 1. Relaxing and helping are things that I am able to manage a little better.

I am also working on separating what is real from what is made up and I have come to accept that there are many times when I insist on believing unbelievable stuff, just because I am very good at convincing myself of practically anything. The problem is that once you have made a decision on the reality of something, you are committed and this makes you do things that take you away from happiness. I know I'm not the only one. This is why I decided to follow my mission to help people be the best they can be; I realize that when I do that and choose to believe what helps me along my mission path, I am happier, I have a clear direction and I am able to say yes to what is real.

Now I am starting to accept that we are all meant to be happy and that we can if we follow our feelings; simply put, what makes you unhappy is likely to be a limiting program that takes you away from your true essence.

I choose to believe that my son is right and i am happier for that. So are my clients and the people around me. What do you believe? How relaxed are you? How much attention are you paying to your needs and those of others?

2 comments:

  1. Hola hermano, creo que las palabras de tu hijo fueron muy inteligentes.... a veces nos olvidamos de que lo mas sencillo es disfrutar de las cosas mas simples, ya vendrán las complicadas mas adelante. Primero aprender a quererte a ti mismo para poder querer a los demás, y ser lo más sincero posible contigo para poder llegar a disfrutar de esta vida tan maravillosa. Incluso las cosas malas tienen un beneficio. Siempre me dicen que soy una persona muy positiva y creo que eso hace que atraiga las cosas positivas aunque en realidad creo que es más bien que la perspectiva con la que las miro se inclina hacia la positividad.

    Enhorabuena por tu blog, seguiré escribiendo. Muchos besos a la familia y a ti.

    Pilar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desde luego que sí, gracias por el comentario. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete